Showing 209 results

Authority record

TWU Archives

  • Corporate body
  • 1982 -

The TWU Archives was informally established in 1982, on the strength of grant funding acquired by Library Director David Twiest, who began to accummulate school records, as well as the archival records of Robert N. Thompson; in 1982-1983 he hired a contract archivist to begin to manage these materials.

For some years, very little work was accomplished, owing to a lack of funding.
In 1988, Ted Goshulak accepted the position of reference librarian; his responsibilities included general oversight of the archives department, which was by now established as part of the library.
In 1994 Ms Stopforth was hired to work on a part-time basis as reference librarian and archivist. Between 1995 and 2014, Stopforth successfully applied for over $47,000 in provincial and federal grant funding, which was applied to salaries, shelving, supplies, and computer hardware and software. Student assistants were hired with funding from the Work Studies Program, a provincial program that was cut ca. 2002. Stopforth resigned from this position in 2019. In February 2019, Ms. Krause succeeded as University Archivist and Assistant Librarian.

Trinity Western University Student Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1962-

The first student body president was Dale Winder, of New Norway, Alberta. He was elected for the 1962/1963 academic year. See the first Pillar Yearbook (1963) for more information.

TJC Committee

  • Corporate body
  • 1961

The TJC Committee replaced the School for Canada Committee in July 1961 as the governing body of TJC. This committee met frequently until it was replaced by the TJC Governing Board in November 1961.

Thompson, Robert N.

  • Person
  • 1914-1997

Robert Thompson was born in Duluth, Minnesota, but raised in Innisfail, Alberta. He was educated at the Calgary Normal School, Garbutt Buisiness College in Calgary, Palmer College of Chiropractic in Iowa, Bob Jones University in South Carolina, and the University of British Columbia. He was a teacher in Alberta from 1934 to 1936. In 1939, he married Hazel Maxine Kurth; they had eight children: Grace, Alice, George, David, Lois, Paul, Robert (known as Mak), and Stephen. During World War II he served as an instructor in the Commonwealth Air Training Plan. In 1943 the family relocated to Ethiopia with the Sudan Interior Mission. He was seconded to the Ministry of Education until 1952, and acted occasionally as a diplomat for Ethiopia from 1953 to 1958, when the family returned to Canada. He was president of the Social Credit Party of Canada from 1960 to 1961, its national leader from 1961 to 1967, and Member of Parliament (MP) for Red Deer (Alberta) from 1962 to 1972. During the 1970s and 1980s he served as an administrator and instructor (Political Science) at Trinity Western University in Langley, B.C. He was active in many organizations throughout his life, serving on the boards of Mission Aviation Fellowship, Samaritan's Purse, Gospel Recordings Inc., and World Vision. His numerous awards include the Star of Ethiopia and the Order of Canada.
Hazel passed away in 1992. In 1993 Thompson married Evelyn Brant, who had served for many years as a missionary in Ethiopia with her first husband. Evelyn passed away in 2012.

Theatre Department

  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

The TWU Theatre Department (formerly known as Drama) was formed in 1976. Prior, drama was offered as a student club that aimed to provide the opportunity for development of skills in reading and presentation (source: Trinity Junior College, Calendar for 1967-68, 1968-69). The first official theatrical production was student-directed, entitled "The Romantics," premiered on March 4, 1967, to a full house (source: 1967 Pillar yearbook, p. 13).

In the 1974-75 academic year, drama was added to the curriculum under the Department of English in the Division of Humanities and offered creative drama courses at the beginning and advanced levels. Creative drama courses emphasized the basic concepts of perception, movement, improvisation, and dramatization.

In 1976-77, drama was recognized as a department within the Division of Humanities. The Drama Department aimed to investigate the theoretical and historical foundations of dramatic art as a form of cultural expression and provide instruction in the techniques of acting (source: 1976-77 academic calendar).

The following year, the Division of Fine Arts was established with concentrations in art, drama, and music with a goal to develop committed Christian artists, musicians, and leaders with technical competence and the ability to work with and minister to people, to promote use of arts at all levels (source: 1981-1983 Trinity Western College catalogue). A drama minor was introduced.

September 1980, the Robert N. Thompson (RNT) building opened and featured Freedom Hall, a lecture theatre space.

The following year, Spectra, a touring troupe was founded under drama professor Claire Goodfellow, and performed in local churches and schools.

On October 17, 1986, the student-led comedy improv company “11:07” premiered under the guidance of drama professor Tim Heins. This late-night, bi-weekly comedy improv show, alternated Friday nights at 11:07 at a cost of $2. In its opening year, “11:07” raised $813 that went towards a new dimmer system and a fine arts student bursary (source: Stewart, Scott S. (1987, October 9). 11:07-Staging a Comeback. The Today: TWU Magazine).

Fall 1987, saw the introduction of a Theatre major that sought to offer students opportunities to confront serious issues and dilemmas through performance that provided a metaphysical “reality” that lends to urgency and vitality to analysis (source: TWU 1988/89 Calendar).

In Trinity’s 30th year (1992), the Division of Fine Arts became a part of the Faculty of Arts and Religious Studies with the aim to advance the development in women and men of cultural awareness, artistic expressiveness, analytic powers, precise thought, graceful communication, and religious knowledge, subject to the unique perspective on life and learning offered by a biblically Christian worldview. Art and Drama were amalgamated to become the Department of Art and Drama. The Department of Drama sought to train students’ God-given talents in the theatre arts. Students perform in main-stage productions, touring ensembles, chapel drama teams, and the student comedy-improv company, “11:07” (source: TWU 1992/93 Academic Calendar).

In 2000, the Department of Drama became a part of the newly formed Faculty of Professional Studies and Performing Arts whose mission was to produce competent and yet compassionate servant leaders with thoroughly Christian minds who will “act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with their God.”

In 2002, Drama Department faculty moved from offices in Strombeck to Lower Stanley Nelson Centre (SNC), in the Robert N. Thompson building.

In October 2006, it was announced that the Board of Governors "agreed with the proposed change in name of the Drama Department, corresponding degree, and courses to reflect the more professional designation of 'Theatre'" (source: President's Report to the Campus, October 23, 2006).

Freedom Hall underwent a major renovation in the fall of 2008, changing from a fixed lecture configuration to a black box configuration, under the supervision of theatre professor Aaron Caleb.

On April 6, 2010, the School of the Arts, Media and Culture (SAMC) was launched in Freedom Hall. Angela Konrad, Assistant Dean, welcomed those gathered, and Dean David Squires spoke on his vision for the School. SAMC’s first two professional programs - a Bachelor of Arts in Corporate Communications and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Acting - were announced in June and offered in September.

In June 2021, Trinity Western University announced the closure of the Theatre program, a result from the Institution Prioritization Process (IPP) that led to additional program closures. The University cited insufficient enrolment, limited opportunity for enrolment growth in Theatre, and significant operating expenditures relative to tuition fees to sunset this program. The Theatre program is set to close 2024.

The Valnor Studios Ltd.

  • Corporate body

The Valnor Studios Ltd. was a commercial photographic studio operating in Vancouver, B.C. The firm was owned by Vlasta Novak, but it is not known if she was the firm's photographer. In 1972 the studio was located at 1007 Granville Street, Vancouver.
Source: City of Vancouver Archives

Results 21 to 30 of 209